나의 서울 이야기

Monday, December 10, 2012

Seoul Zoo



Someone suggested we go to the Seoul Zoo on Sunday (yesterday). Stupid me agreed. Seoul Zoo is technically outside of Seoul in Gyeonggi-do, the next province south. And it's part of a "Grand Park" that's got an amusement park, zoo, sky lift, and flower garden. Since we're the farthest district south, the Seoul Grand Park subway stop is only about 30-40 minutes away. From seoul.go.kr:


Seoul Grand Park


It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so cold. There was snow on the ground and the temperature at its highest was about 20*F. The animals had the right idea... several of them were hiding under rocks or bunched up in balls to keep warm. Still, we walked over 3 miles to see what we did:


We walked the red path. Sadly every thing here is in meters, but 1600 meters = 1 mile.

Several animals were housed in heated pavilions, which provided a nice break from the constant cold.


A baby chimp or two in a crib.


A few outdoor animals were out:


Brown bear chillin'. Black bear sleeping in a tree.

My favorite animal of the day:


They seemed like nice penguins to me....


Still, it was very pretty. There's a 4.7km nature path that we thankfully avoided this trip, but we walked along it for part of the way and took some pretty pictures:


Stream in the woods. Not frozen over, unlike me, at this point. Also, a picture of the mountains behind the zoo.


Me, all bundled up in front of the stream. My parts, to show just how many layers I was wearing and
I was still cold.

Today a bunch of us from class went out to dinner. I'm glad I got a nice group of (English-speaking) people in my class... :) More of us are going out on Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment